Friday, January 01, 2016

On a literary note

                                                       
        Franz Kafka is a German writer who has affected me to a considerable measure. In the by gone year, many a times I read his books, soaked up his quotes and now I’m by substantial, a bad-to-the-bone admirer of this individual. Viewed as one of the significant figures of twentieth century writing, his work, wires components of authenticity and the fantasy. It's stunned on our part when he investigates topics of distance, existential uneasiness, blame, and foolishness. 

I went over and read one of his finest work, "The Metamorphosis" in the most recent year. I ought to say honestly that the term which ought to have cited me since years ought to have been "Kafkaesque",  which is the peculiar way of his writing.

I've mentioned some of his quotes here:

“Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.” 

“I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound or stab us. If the book we're reading doesn't wake us up with a blow to the head, what are we reading for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good Lord, we would be happy precisely if we had no books, and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is my belief.” 

“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” 

“I need solitude for my writing; not 'like a hermit' - that wouldn't be enough - but like a dead man.” 

“I never wish to be easily defined. I’d rather float over other people’s minds as something strictly fluid and non-perceivable; more like a transparent, paradoxically iridescent creature rather than an actual person.” 

“I am constantly trying to communicate something incommunicable, to explain something inexplicable, to tell about something I only feel in my bones and which can only be experienced in those bones. Basically it is nothing other than this fear we have so often talked about, but fear spread to everything, fear of the greatest as of the smallest, fear, paralyzing fear of pronouncing a word, although this fear may not only be fear but also a longing for something greater than all that is fearful.”

Dig deep into his works and find the mystery of life. If he was still alive, i would have longed to meet him once. A man of profound scars. I devote my first blog entry of the year to the colossal Franz Kafka.


No comments:

Post a Comment