Monday, July 11, 2016

Prerogative!


'A display at the 8 point art cafe'
                                               Last Saturday, I happened to visit the 8 point Art Cafe and came across the exhibit of 'Trans', a photo campaign to spread awareness about the transgender community. Among the 8 pictures that displayed there, this one caught my attention the most. 

The image conveys meaningful thoughts to the onlooker, but I don't think all could pass on to the next image without experiencing the moment subtle elements it bears.

I was lost in thought over the picture, as I could see a cage in her hand with origami birds. She wore a flower embroidered off-white linen tunic, with her hair parted on both sides.

Another interesting thing about the image were those paper birds which had a word written on it repeatedly.

"Prerogative"

It was the strange silent meaning the image carried which most people might have missed. Prerogative is a right or a privilege exclusive to a particular individual or a class. Through the image, she too meant the same thing. Her privilege is compared to the birds in the cage, being kept an axe to it. The right which she is meant to enjoy is lopped off. When the society and the human race eyes her as a normal individual, she would be left free from her chains which fetters her identity to enable her to flutter  just like the birds.  

Sitting onto a chair I found there, I started to study the image in all its entirety. She is caged in the body of a man, struggling her way out through the mystery of her anatomy; where she wishes people, to not let her identity be viewed as a mere spectacle. Her attire shows the yearning of femininity, the urge to pave her way out from the riddled self.

I had my train of thoughts running inside my head with words brimming to be poured out onto a piece of paper then. If I could pen down the emotion that she carried in a few words, this is what the image evoked in me.

"In a rented body, conjured upon
By ill fate and tightropping gender;
I stay with my flesh covered, though bare
With a question unanswered -
 What wrong did I do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment